Entrepreneurship at UBC
Entrepreneurship@UBC (e@UBC), is UBC’s venture accelerator. Since 2013, e@UBC has helped more than 800 UBC venture teams to become inspired, learn about entrepreneurship, and build successful ventures.
e@UBC offers a well-developed range of commercialization and entrepreneurship programs to support UBC’s growing community of entrepreneurs. These include entrepreneurial workshops, mentorship and programs for market validation and business model development.
A key form of innovation at UBC is the process through which bold thinking and research discoveries create a positive social or economic impact.
Our new entrepreneurship@UBCO programs and mentorship activities are designed to help UBC Okanagan students, faculty, staff and recent graduates explore their startup ideas, build connections within the Okanagan innovation ecosystem, and develop the skill set needed to launch a successful new venture.
We work in partnership with Accelerate Okanagan to help connect and grow new ventures—offering students, researchers and early-stage entrepreneurs an opportunity to transform their ideas into viable ventures.
Meet Our Entreprenerds
UBC scholars taking their big ideas to market
Episode 1: Prof. Ken Chau, PhD Student Vincent Loi (BanditVR), and UBC Alumnus Cailan Libby (Happipad) share their entrepreneurship journey and how UBCO helped them launch two successful new ventures.
“The big goal,” says Prof. Kenneth Chau, entrepreneur and student mentor, “is nothing short of changing how we train students.”
Explore your options. Programs are open to UBC Okanagan faculty, staff, students, and recent graduates (within five years).
If you are contemplating becoming an entrepreneur or exploring a career change, these how-to sessions will be a valuable preparation tool. Learn from real-world case studies delivered by business leaders and expert professional service providers. Entrepreneurship Basics is a precursor to our Lean LaunchPad program.
Entrepreneurship Basics is delivered in collaboration with Accelerate Okanagan staff, Executive-in-Residence (EIR) mentors, partners, and program alumni. Each session is designed to help you transform your idea into a startup.
The program includes:
Mentorship and Coaching: Access to Executive-in-Residence (EIR) mentors, partners, and AO alumni during the program.
Training and Courses: Targeted sessions provide structured content, tools, and follow up summaries to help educate tech and tech-enabled entrepreneurs about business and entrepreneurship best practices.
Peer-to-Peer Engagement: Sessions are delivered in a group setting where entrepreneurs meet each other, collaborate and learn together, and build lasting relationships to help each other out as they turn ideas into companies.
- Session 1: Feb 12, 2019 – Customer Discovery & Business Pitching Skills
- Session 2: Mar 19, 2019 – Accounting, SR&ED Funding; Building a Financial Model
- Session 3: Mar 26, 2019 – Revenue Model & Pricing
Have a start-up idea? Not sure where to go from here? Our Lean LaunchPad Accelerator Program offers tools and resources to help you increase your chances of building a successful, innovative business model. What is the problem you’re solving? Who is your customer? Why is your solution better?
The program is offered twice per academic year (Fall/Winter) and is facilitated over a period of 11-weeks.
- Week 1: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 | 5:00-7:00 pm | On Campus – Program Orientation
- Week 2: Tue, Jan 22, 2019 | 5:00-8:00 pm | MNP LLP – Lecture & Mentoring Session on Value Proposition Canvas/Uncovering Pains & Gains
- Week 3: Jan 28 – Feb 1, 2019 – Break to do Homework on Building the Value Proposition Canvas and Uncovering Pains & Gains
- Week 4: Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:00-8:00 pm | MNP LLP – Lecture & Mentoring Session on Customer Discovery
- Week 5: Tue, Feb 12, 2019 5:00-8:00 pm | On Campus – Break to do Homework on Customer Discovery | Entrepreneurship Basics Workshop on Customer Discovery & Presentation Skills (Attendance Required)
- Week 6: Feb 18-22, 2019 – SPRING BREAK!
- Week 7: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:00-8:00 pm | MNP LLP – Lecture & Mentoring Session on Competitive Landscape
- Week 8: Thu Mar 7, 2019 5:00- 8:00 pm | On Campus – CEO Strategy Forum sponsored by Lawson Lundell (Attendance Required); Homework on Competitive Landscape
- Week 9: Tue Mar 12 2019 5:00-8:00 pm | MNP LLP – Lecture & Mentoring Session on Market Sizing and Minimum Viable Product; Final Presentations
- Week 10: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:00- 8:00 pm | On Campus – Entrepreneurship Basics Workshop on Accounting, SR&ED Funding and Financial Model (Attendance Required)
- Week 11: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00- 8:00 pm | On Campus – Entrepreneurship Basics Workshop on Revenue Model & Pricing (Attendance Required)
Your team will work with a mentor to complete hands-on exercises and obtain real world feedback as you:
- develop customer discovery questions regarding their innovations;
- use tools to work towards a clear product-market fit;
- develop their value proposition;
- validate market need;
- develop financial literacy and develop realistic pricing and financial projections; and
- figure out a compelling business model.
Each lecture will be bolstered by videos and reading assignments accessed via an online learning platform developed by e@UBC and the Sauder Business School on the UBC Vancouver campus.
Are you a researcher? This program builds bridges between research findings and real-world impact. We provide one-on-one coaching with industry mentors, dedicated office space at the Innovation UBC Hub in downtown Kelowna, and connections to key resources, including funding sources, interns and UBC Okanagan capstone teams. We provide you and your team with the support and space you need to ensure your world-changing innovations become a viable, marketable product or service. Mentor to Market supports faculty, students and postdocs to enhance their innovation and entrepreneurship skills and create viable ventures.
For more information, please contact:
Sarah Sutherland | Program Facilitator
The Innovation UBC Kelowna Hub
Our Innovation UBC Hub, located at the Innovation Centre downtown, provides the UBC Okanagan community with space to connect and access support from Kelowna’s innovation network.
Innovation UBC Hub
#203-460 Doyle Ave.
Kelowna, BC, V1Y 0C2
Questions about booking this new innovation space? Contact:
Angela Sali | Administrative Coordinator
Office of the Vice-Principal Research