UBC will continue requiring masks to be worn in all indoor public spaces on both campuses until June 30, 2022.
Masks or face coverings are required for all indoor public areas on our campuses, including lobbies, hallways, stairwells, elevators, classrooms and labs. UBC strongly recommends the use of medical masks as a face covering when possible.
Medical Mask Distribution
UBC strongly recommends the use of medical grade masks, and will be providing a supply of medical grade masks to students, faculty, and staff who need them. Options for obtaining a medical mask include:
- Students: Student Connect, UNC 206; Monday–Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm until February 7; 8:30 am to 7 pm.
- Residents: Student housing staff will distribute masks directly to students living in residence over the coming days and weeks.
- Faculty and staff: Department heads are encouraged to make bulk requests to firstname.lastname@example.org for distribution. Individuals may pick up masks in ADM 106, Monday–Friday 8 am to 4 pm.
Until June 30, 2022, masks must be worn in public indoor spaces on both campuses, including students, faculty, staff and visitors.
At UBC Okanagan this means masks must be worn in the following situations:
In all indoor public spaces:
- This includes lecture theatres, classrooms, teaching laboratories, and other indoor instructional settings.
- Instructors and other presenters do not need to wear a mask when two metres away from students while teaching in indoor public spaces.
In common areas of all buildings open to the public, including in on-campus housing and office buildings (e.g., lobbies, hallways, stairwells, elevators and bathrooms). This includes areas open to the public in the following buildings:
- Administration Building (ADM)
- Arts Building (ART)
- Arts & Sciences Centre (ASC)
- Creative & Critical Studies Building (CCS)
- The Commons Building (COM)
- Engineering, Management & Education (EME)
- Charles E. Fipke Building (FIPKE)
- Gymnasium and Hangar (GYM)
- Library (LIB)
- Reichwald Health Sciences (RHS)
- Science (SCI)
- Upper Campus Health (UCH)
- University Centre (UNC)
In common areas of sport and fitness centres when not engaged in physical activity.
In coffee shops, restaurants, pubs and bars when not seated at a table.
Masks are not required:
- in workspaces such as office areas, research labs or shared offices that do not serve the public, or for meetings and seminars in small meeting rooms.
- if a person is behind a barrier that separates them from other people, like a divider, cubicle, or in a room by themselves.
Exemptions are detailed in the September 3, 2021 Campus Rules, including for the following:
- Those unable to wear a face covering because of psychological, behavioural or health conditions, or a physical, cognitive or mental impairment – instructions on how to request accommodation are outlined in the September 3, 2021 Campus Rules.
- Students, faculty or staff participating in physical activity organized by UBC or at a fitness facility or sport facility operated by UBC.
As of February 28, the UBCO community can recycle disposable face masks in red stand-alone bins around campus.
Watch for recycle bins in the following buildings:
- ADM (1st floor)
- COM (1st floor)
- EME (1st floor)
- FIP (1st floor)
- GYM Foyer
- LIB (front entrance)
- Nechako (outside of cafeteria)
- Nechako (beside housing 24/7 desk)
- SCI (1st floor)